- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Scald cream in heavy-duty saucepan.
- Using electric mixer, beat yolks, sugar and vanilla until pale and thick.
- Slowly pour hot cream into egg mixture while beating at the lowest speed.
- Ladle into 4oz ramekins and place in roasting pan.
- Pour boiling water into pan 2/3 up the sides of the cups.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes.
- Remove ramekins from pan and let cool. Do not overbake - the middles can stil be 'nervous'.
- Chill in refrigerator for several hours.
- Just before serving, sprinkle tops with granulated sugar.
- With a propane torch, caramalize the sugar until bubbly and browned.